After the 2018 Ky Deluge
    2 photos
    0 comments
    by vaderstones

Member Galleries
    4311 photos
    2352 comments
  • Clovis Caches found in Amazon

Although many will be shocked to learn of this discovery, Amazon appearances of Clovis Caches first occurred in 2014. Caches of Clovis tools, many of which have only recently come to light are documented. The Paleoindian Clovis culture is known for distinctive stone and bone tools often associated with mammoth and bison remains, dating back some 13,500 years.

"A unique, significant contribution to our maturing studies of the Clovis era." says Gary Haynes, author ofThe Early Settlement of North America: The Clovis Era.

These caches are time capsules that allow archaeologists to examine Clovis tools at earlier stages of manufacture than the broken and discarded artifacts typically recovered from other sites.

Amazon Clovis Caches provide a unique, significant contribution to our maturing studies of the Clovis era.

To See Clovis Caches in Amazon, click here.

Creek finds-clovis_cache-jpg

Happy April Fools Day.
    Comments 27 Comments
      Pointhunter79 -
      Wow. This is too far down on the site. All should see this one.
      pop -
      Cool, need more details, will have to Google.
      Thanks Shannon
      Bonneville -
      Has anyone bought it....how bout a book review? Description on Amazon is meager.
      hawkwalk -
      Wow!!Thanks
      Beatup69 -
      Sounds like a good read
      Beatup69 -
      Thank for posting
      Garscale -
      I knew I could expect one today.
      RunningWolf -
      Fascinating, but not quite fascinating enough to spend $75 on the book!
      joshuaream -
      Great read!
      wyomingpony -
      Thanks for posting, didn't know clovis reached that far south
      Sharp Rock -
      Fascinating! I did not know Clovis points were found in South America! Thanks!
      Kansas Creekwalker -
      Great Post, Thanks. There is a lot more to learn about the peopling of the Americas.
      elkguide -
      Thanks for the update.
      Sydbrn329 -
      On a Limb..,
      I believe that if these cashes are able to be dated accurately.., They will be exactly in the middle of the Clovis era.
      I say that because of distribution patterns.
      Personal belief.., though not just through total supposition and conjecture.
      Will not to get into argument over "people" vs "technology".
      Considering the distribution and the dates.., It seems quite plausible that the tech originated in the panhandle of Texas. Ancient perimeter of Permian sea. Limestone was there. Chert was there.., quality of materials allowed for emergence.
      Climate toward east was more hospitable.., not sure why.., not delving into reasons regarding that notion here.
      Tech moved as quickly as the people who then possessed,. actually as if in a sprint medley, the baton may have moved more quickly than the individuals... or could have been tech with the people..., through that rationale, there "should" be a paleo highway through mid section of country. O, Wait., There is.. lol. Well.. if you keep going East.., you run out of real estate. Atlantic.
      When people w/ tech advanced toward east.., they became more proficient as they mastered the tech and implementation. "Suitable" factors present.., no reason to leave..,
      hence, higher distribution.
      Over time.., tech "spread back" westward.

Climate changed.., people w tech moved southerly..,,
      climate and game were different. Warmer and smaller game. this explains two things. The "lapse" in consistent manufacture regarding tech over a 2k yr period.., as well as the birth or transition to what were "once considered" archaic, yet now trans/paleo. That tech then traveled northerly and westward. People without contact an/or knowledge of the tech who inhabited areas outside/above SE developed "new" techs which do not bear the likeness of trans/paleo. The techs which spread from SE occurred over a time period that lasted until contact was made with others who employed other techs which were sufficient for harvesting species existing during later era.., so skill level and "way paw paw did it" gave way to "works just as good" .., Note the level of craftsmanship and its decline WITH the nature of how this idea corresponds .., concerning the later distribution yeilding points w/ less and less similarity.
      *Relating to original subject.., a time and distance overlap would be similar -predictably - to time and distance of the spread of the clovis tech "back to the West". I predict there will likely be fewer in S America.., maybe comparable to modern day "out west".. and dating from the mid-later section of the Clovis era.
      ###***** Or you could shoot my theory to hell by saying..., why wouldnt tech have originally moved southerly in direction, as well as Easterly<>??
      maybe it did. Only reason I figure it didn't is the distribution pattern. Flaw in this logic is the number of points found southerly may be disproportionate, due to modern settlement distribution. i.e. They are there, however, significantly less ground has been broken in recent times.., so fewer have been found in that direction.
      just thinking.
      Its an idea.., shoot it up all you want.., but please don't shoot at me.,!! lol
      At least food for thought. "Thinking" seems less and less common in folks around me as I get older. Least I am thinking.
      interested in your thoughts.., shooting or supporting. Still friends w same passion!
      CMD -
      I think there may be some confusion here. Although maybe it's just me that is confused. But I believe the "Amazon" referred to may actually be the company Amazon, and not the region in SA. I just tried every google search I could think of, and found zero on caches of Clovis points found in the Amazon. Prior to this thread, the furthest south that Clovis has been found that I could find was Venezuela, which I guess includes portions of the Amazon. Is it possible the translation is causing some confusion, and they are just pointing out the book "Clovis Caches" is available at Amazon???

Here is the paragraph again. What is it actually saying? It's a book about Clovis caches, but is it really saying they are found in the Amazon, or the book can be found at Amazon? At first, it does seem to be talking about caches from the Amazon. But the sense of what is being said seems to change to "Amazon Clovis Caches", i.e., the book title and available at Amazon. Note: the book was first published in 2014. I think that very first sentence below is sowing confusion and causing folks to mistakenly think caches of Clovis points have been found in the Amazon. Not so. It's a recent book documenting Clovis caches in general. That's my interpretation at least. A google search will turn up nothing on caches of Clovis points from the Amazon jungle......

"Although many will be shocked to learn of this discovery, Amazon appearances of Clovis Caches first occurred in 2014. Caches of Clovis tools, many of which have only recently come to light are documented. The Paleoindian Clovis culture is known for distinctive stone and bone tools often associated with mammoth and bison remains, dating back some 13,500 years.

"A unique, significant contribution to our maturing studies of the Clovis era." says Gary Haynes, author ofThe Early Settlement of North America: The Clovis Era.

These caches are time capsules that allow archaeologists to examine Clovis tools at earlier stages of manufacture than the broken and discarded artifacts typically recovered from other sites.

Amazon Clovis Caches provide a unique, significant contribution to our maturing studies of the Clovis era.

To See Clovis Caches in Amazon, click here."

---------------------------------------------------------

" Amazon appearances of Clovis Caches first occurred in 2014." In other words, the book was published in 2014, and has been available from Amazon since that date. Very, very awkward and confusing sentence, IMHO.......
      Orion -
      I thought this was an April Fools prank, and the confusion was purposeful.
      CMD -
      Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
      I thought this was an April Fools prank, and the confusion was purposeful.
      Well, in that case, it worked on me! But then, it's now 18 days past April 1st. So, that's my excuse. Other folks did seem to interpret it as caches of Clovis found in the Amazon, however.....

It was posted before April 1st. By 9 minutes. Reading through the whole thing again, I don't think anyone got the joke, if you are correct. The poster can clarify, but I think it was confusing sentence structure, and not purposeful confusion. But perhaps the poster took advantage of that sentence structure to set up the prank. If so, guess I let the cat out of the bag, lol....
      SmokyHill -
      Quote Originally Posted by CMD View Post
      I think there may be some confusion here.

Note: the book was first published in 2014. I think that very first sentence below is sowing confusion and causing folks to mistakenly think caches of Clovis points have been found in the Amazon. Not so. It's a recent book documenting Clovis caches in general. That's my interpretation at least. A google search will turn up nothing on caches of Clovis points from the Amazon jungle......
      I agree CMD the link provided has caused a great deal of confusion. The image of Clovis points in that link have nothing to do with points from the Amazon nor is that image shown in the 2014 publication titled Clovis Caches.
      swamprat -
      Wow, took y'all long enough to figure out. The picture is from the Rummells-Maske Cache Site in Iowa...Attachment 233547
      Garscale -
      Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
      Wow, took y'all long enough to figure out. The picture is from the Rummells-Maske Cache Site in Iowa...Attachment 233547
      i thought it was a forgone conclusion that it was a joke...i just didnt want to mess up a good thing as it progressed. How ya been Mr rat?