Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Arrowheadologist

Hasketts near Portland Oregon?

Welcome to the Yamhill River Pleistocene | Yamhill River Pleistocene Project

Here is a link to some current research being conducted in the Willamette Valley. There are two possible Haskett points and a Windust. If they are in fact Haskett points this would be an interesting development as I am unaware of any Haskett types being found that far NW. From the sheer number, variety and great time span (10,000BP-50,000BP) of Pleistocene faunal remains being found in the area I'm inclined to believe there is a good chance they may find an in situ cultural component associated with the Pleistocene faunal remains at some future date. To see the artifacts follow the link, click photo albums, then artifacts.

2. # ADS

Arrowheadologist
    I agree it’s not always easy to draw firm conclusions from a picture and they state it’s reworked which makes me think they mean by another culture. It seems highly likely there are Paleo sites deeply buried in the Willamette Valley and I hope they find something exciting there in the future. I’d love to hear about Haskett points found in BC or anywhere else outside the Great Basin. I did see the recent El Jobo/Haskett comparison post and it got my mind a wondering, which for me is what makes Amateur Archaeology and participating here at Arrowheadology so much fun.

Desert Rat
    I couldn't find pics of the points in question in your link. Most professionals will claim that Haskett and Windust points are limited to the Northwest Great Basin. From personal experience I'm almost 100% sure both types are found all over the Great Basin. I'm not saying they are common everywhere but I believe the people making these points got around more than a lot of people think. I believe the same groups of paleo-indians that inhabited the Great Basin also at one point inhabited British Columbia. Portland falls in between these two areas. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if a Haskett turns up in that area on rare occasions.

Desert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Arrow, try this link:
    Artifact Gallery | Yamhill River Pleistocene Project

I have four Hasketts that I had X-ray sourced by Dr. Shackley at Cal-Berkeley. They were quarried at Saline Range 1 and Saline Range 2 in California, Obsidian Butte, NV, and Tempiute Mtn, NV.
    All those sources are in what I would consider the southern Great Basin.
    Thanks for the pic link. Those do look like Mojaves, but it's hard to know for sure without handling them. There was a Haskett site found in Northern Utah on the Bonneville Basin. All (or most?) of the Hasketts were made from obsidian. The obsidian was sourced to the Wildhorse Canyon source which is near Milford Utah which is in the very southeastern corner of the Great Basin. The people making those points got around!

Arrowheadologist
    Hasketts in Washington State: Testing at site 45KT1362, located near Priest Rapids in Washington, revealed Haskett-like projectile points that were dated to between 11,000 and 12,000 B.P. (Gough 1999).
    Last edited by PacificNorthWest-Relics; 01-02-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Arrowheadologist
    Thanks for all the informative posts. I couldn’t tell much from the pictures and since I haven’t been aware (prior to this thread)of Haskett points being found outside the Great Basin I thought it was worth getting some opinions and pointing out the current research if people weren’t already aware of it. Thanks again!

Arrowheadologist
    Ha!

John... slap my hand. I may have misquoted when paraphrasing the citation related to the Yakima Training Center excavations in Washington State. Here is the exact copy
    (Overview for the Priest Rapids Hydroelectric Generation Project.pdf):

Recent testing at site 45KT1362, located in proximity to the Priest Rapids Project, revealed cultural materials overlying a Glacier Peak and Mount St. Helens set J tephra couplet dating between 11,000 and 12,000 B.P. (Gough 1999). Dense concentrations of chipped +stone implements, including Haskett-like projectile points, lithic debitage and cores associated with elk and bison remains were recovered. The deposit that also contains a distinct occupation surface overlying charcoal dated to 10,180 B.P. (Beta 124167). Bison bones recovered from this site produced radiocarbon dates of 6130 B.P. (Beta 125771). Occupations at this locality are suggested to represent short duration and intensive site use (Gough 1999, Gough and Galm 2000). Further investigations at this site were conducted in the summer of 2000 and publication of results is anticipated later this year (Stan Gough 2000 personal communication).

Arrowheadologist
    I don't really understand the difference between RCYBP and calendar YBP. I assume the difference has something to do with the decay of the carbon that is measured as a RCY does not equal a calendar year. If that is correct then there must be a factor a guy can use to convert one to the other. If anyone can describe or point to a reference on the web Id be grateful.

Here are some brief excerpts regarding key dates and sites from an article on Haskett and Cougar Mountain Points by Dewy Dietz published in Indian Artifact Magazine in May 1992.

"One well dated site which contained Haskett points is the Redfish Rock Shelter in Central Idaho. The two C-14 dates associated with Haskett points were C.9860 and 10,100 B.P. These dates are in agreement with other dates for Haskett Points."

"The Great Basin Associates, an amateur organization based in Klamath Falls, Oregon, has had numerous Obsidian Hydration tests done on various obsidian artifacts. The tests have been performed at the Obsidian Hydration Laboratory at Sonoma State University. Several tests run on Haskett points have dated from C. 12,000 B.P. to 10,500 B.P."

"Cougar Mountain points were designated a type by Thomas N. Layton in 1972 while conducting Obsidian Hydration tests on two collections of artifacts from the Northern Great Basin. One collection was from Hanging Rock shelter in Northwestern Nevada, the other collection from Cougar Mountain cave in Southcentral Oregon."

"Cougar Mountain cave was excavated by the late John Cowells in 1958. There were questions raised concerning the stratographic sequence of the point types. Mr Cowells loaned lithic material for analysis. The results of the Obsidian Hydration tests conducted by Layton indicate that Cougar Mountain and Haskett Points were the earliest type projectile points in use at Cougar Mountain cave."

I can also go through my Rimrock Registers (newsletter of The Great Basin Associates) and post articles on their work with Haskett points referenced above when I get some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Maybe Joshua can give insight here?? El Jobo is closer in form to Haskett than any other North American point form.
    The Taima-Taima site was first dug by paleontologists looking for fossils, and they didn't stop when they found artifacts and butchered bones. When Archaeologists got involved and continued the excavations, the paleontologists wouldn't let them date the bones (because carbon dating at the time required destroying a lot of material and the preservation was so good that no one wanted to destroy the bones), so they dated what appeared to be wad of chewed twigs.

Because of the surprisingly early dates, many US archaeologists rightfully questioned the validity of the dates because they didn't actually date bone or charcoal associated with the site, and it was done at a lab that didn't necessarily have much experience with early dates. It took a while, but a follow up project was done with some Archaeologists in the US, they excavated a separate area and found material they could date, tested samples both in Venezuela and then in the US, and verified the earlier dates. These dates have subsequently been tested at other kill sites providing very similar early dates, however in some cases with a wild standard deviation.

There was a project about 10 years ago to continue the dig at Taima-Taima, as well as 5 other known kill sites, but the political situation changed and the project died.