Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Graduate Arrowheadologist

Neanderthal dna in Native Americans

Yotova et al just published a study in the journal Molecular Biology and Evolution which demonstrates that an X-linked haplotype of Neanderthals (B0006) is not only present in ALL non-African populations but also OCCURS AT THE HIGHEST RATE IN NATIVE AMERICANS. Moreover, it is basically ABSENT in East Asia, and occurs in 9% of Western Europeans, the "center" of ancient Neanderthal populations, but is PRESENT IN 25% OF NATIVE AMERICANS, by far the highest prevalence worldwide. If neanderthals never made it to the New World, how is this possible??? Opinions???

2. # ADS

Tribal Council Member
    However you interpret the information given, it is still very interesting. Definitely requires some more attention and research.

Mojave,, the haplotype DOES NOT OCCUR IN ANY SUB_SAHARAN AFRICANS TESTED NONE,NADA, ZILCH.

Tribal Council Member
    I am just as interested in the DNA studies done to the Australian Aboriginals.Although nothing in the mitochondrial record shows any Definitive Neanderthal relations.It has always struck my mind that these people could be the closest link//jmo
    Forty Six & 2 ///// Catch

Elite Arrowheadologist
    There is no telling where all Matt Rowe"s DNA might show up !!
    Never fry bacon naked,,

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    I WASN'T SUGGESTING IT WOULD.
    Your statement implied the study simply didn't look at Africa. I was just curious. I don't know beans about DNA. I didn't mean to convey an opinion that I disagreed with anything or that it shouldn't be studied.
    I just feel that a preponderance of Neanderthal DNA in the Americas doesn't necessarily mean Neanderthal was in the Americas. there could be other perfectly reasonable explanations (that I do not have) for it.
    I see your point. You can google "Yotova b006" and find some info. The authors suggest that ALL lineages outside Africa were involved in inbreeding with neanderthals very early in the OOA migration, but when you look at the world-wide distribution of B006 if that was the case, i would expect it to be highest in the Levant, and decrease as people radiated outward from that area. That is not the case, and in actuality the opposite is true, B006 occurs in it's highest percentages in the Americas, yet is extremely rare to non-existant in Eastern Siberia, the supposed migration route to the Americas. B006 occurs in it's highest incidence in NORTHWESTERN Europe, and in NORTHEASTERN North America. Occam's razor suggests to me, that neanderthal descendants migrated from Northwestern Europe to Eastern North America. Arguments against a Solutrean settlement of N. America include the fact that there is no evidence of Solutrean settlement in the British Isles, the logical starting point of such a migration, however, recent archeological excavations in The British isles did find that contrary to previous dogma, that Neanderthals were more resourceful , and made more advanced tools than previously thought, and what's more, they were in the right place at the right time to accomplish such a migration. Remember, as the last ice age waxed strong 30-35000 years ago, the British Isles were covered in ice miles thick. The "advanced"Nean derthals had to go elsewhere or perish.Did they go west?These new genetic findings suggest this is a strong possibility to me.JMHO

Tribal Council Member
    I googled "Molecular Biology and Evolution." When I didn't find anything about it in the current issue article titles/abstracts, I searched "Neanderthal" and waded through 31 of them -- nada.

I'll look up Yotova b006 as you suggested.

Your link to the article would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE : found a bunch of stuff the second time. Interesting.
    Last edited by uniface; 02-21-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Tribal Council Member
    Influx of data suggests that early Native American's didn't all come Siberia????

How shocking!

I jest, but even without the DNA evidence that will likely dictate future models I can't imagine how the NW Euro-NE American connection can be ignored forever.

In my personal, and only moderate, educated opinion I think they will eventually "prove" connections that are not only through north eastern and western North America but also through southern North America and possibly even Florida.
    Last edited by drdave514; 02-21-2011 at 01:23 PM.
    ... I have seen that in any great undertaking it is not enough for a man to depend simply upon himself.
    Lone Man (Isna-la-wica) Teton Sioux

Relic Hunter
    Gosh mo that was quick and sort of sharp as I did not see as dok was drawing any conclusions, he just asked for opinions. Personnally, I don't know why the DNA would be present if they never made it to the "new world", but then as a window cleaner I find that there are a couple things I still don't understand. BUT, if they did make it to the "new world", my bet is they left evidence of their tool technology here the same as they did abroad, you know, the Mousterian stuff, levallois points, small hand axes, burins, and core tools, stuff like that. As I understand it their tool technology is probably the best documented, most researched and recorded of any of the "early man" industries. Wherever it is found, even thousands of miles apart it is basically the same and as a result it is rarely mistaken for say upper paleolithic debitage or paleo waste. A quick google image search of Mousterienne, spelled like the french spell it provides a very comprehensive look at the technology. It is a very recognizable, identifiable and understood lithic reduction system because so much of it has been found and studied. It certainly would never be mistaken for anything from clovis or later cultures by anyone very familiar with it because of the few core preparations unique to Neanderthals. Unlike the Clovis and later industries which are based on blade production and bi-facial flaking, the Mousterian was based on flakes and designed for function more than form with the least amount of effort.
    Just my unprofessional opinion, but if such a technology was to be found here at home I would say it might just resemble stuff like this...time will tell. here is a link to start with for those that are interested...Antiquity: Project Gallery
    Last edited by Rick doninger; 03-24-2011 at 09:15 PM.

Relic Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by George Looney View Post
    There is no telling where all Matt Rowe"s DNA might show up !!
    Now that is funny!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast