Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clovis in Iowa?

Arrowheadologist

Clovis in Iowa?

I am not sure there is a large number of Iowans on the forum but I thought I would ask anyways. Has anyone personally ever found a Clovis point in Iowa or know/n of someone that has. If so, what part of Iowa. I know they are rare here, and probably nearly impossible to find where that glacier extended down into central Iowa, but I thought I would ask. I guess I would even be interested to know what kind of Paleo points I could expect to find (particularly around Central Iowa). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys/gals.

2. # ADS

Tribal Council Member
    Interesting topic Iowa,,,I would not have looked unless you have brought this up.I just assumed,,,Hmmm
    State Historical Society of Iowa
    Last edited by comanche; 01-23-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Forty Six & 2 ///// Catch

Desert Rat
    Last edited by arrow719; 05-22-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    I thought it was the Illinoisian ice age when the glaciers reached down that far. The ice age before last.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Thanks for the link Comanche, Read about the Hebior mammoth on the site and they listed the date of the kill at 15,000 BP, found stone knives etc. for butchering and cut marks on the bones, doesn't that pre-date clovis? Lou

Tribal Council Member
    Poke around in here long enough

Breckinridge Artifact Site

and if you don't find one, you'll find them from nearby states (and see some seriously neat artifacts)

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Offhand I think The glacier was retreating or melting during "that paleo or ice age era" I doubt they were scared of a little or alot of ice. I have seen pics and read stories of clovis being found in Iowa and imagine somone might post them.
    Last edited by Fluff effect; 01-23-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: wrong words

Tribal Council Member

Tribal Council Member
    C.I.21.....I know of several people who have found clovis points in Iowa. I also know of three people who have found Folsom bases. I have two of the three in my collection. I've tracked down 6 clovis that were found in my county. Years ago there was an Iowa survey done on clovis points and I believe they recorded a little over 200 of them. I have a map of a breakdown by county. I'll see if I can locate it and get a copy to you.

Let me know what county/s you will be hunting and I can give you some idea of what might hope to find. There's been some pretty nice points that have come out of Central Iowa.

My avatar is an Iowa clovis from my county. If I remember it's just over 4" long.

Veteran Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by centraliowa21 View Post
    I am not sure there is a large number of Iowans on the forum but I thought I would ask anyways. Has anyone personally ever found a Clovis point in Iowa or know/n of someone that has. If so, what part of Iowa. I know they are rare here, and probably nearly impossible to find where that glacier extended down into central Iowa, but I thought I would ask. I guess I would even be interested to know what kind of Paleo points I could expect to find (particularly around Central Iowa). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys/gals.
    Recorded Clovis and Folsom points in Iowa, by county. SH

Fluted Projectile Points in Iowa during the Early and Late Paleoindian Periods, and the Early Archaic Period: Learn About Iowa's Past: The Office of the State Archaeologist at The University of Iowa since 1959

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast