Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Chipolaman
    [...Deleted...]
    Last edited by Chipolaman; 10-02-2010 at 08:59 PM.

2. # ADS

Chipolaman
    [...Deleted...]
    Last edited by Chipolaman; 10-02-2010 at 08:59 PM.

Great site collection, it does look practically identical to the really, really South East fluted point material I posted in the other section.

Tribal Council Member
    Interesting stuff.

Since you're not trying to have an in-depth discussion of it, going by what you've shown, assuming it's a fairly representative cross-section of what's there, it looks more like it's either one click earlier than Clovis or one click later.

Fun stuff.

Chipolaman
    [...Deleted...]
    Last edited by Chipolaman; 10-02-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Chipolaman
    [...Deleted...]
    Last edited by Chipolaman; 10-02-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Could it have been southwestern GA? It's pretty hard to find a flake in most of SE Ga. Not trying to start anything and I MAY BE WRONG but having owned land and grown up in SW GA that chert and patination sure looks familiar. I was not aware of much Paleo material in SE GA and NE Florida. Of course you may be defining SW GA as being more around the Savannah River in which case I'll be wrong....for which there is ample precendent.
    Last edited by mootsman; 10-02-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    "I believe every man must make his own path" Blackfoot

Chipolaman
    [...Deleted...]
    Last edited by Chipolaman; 10-02-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipolaman View Post
    Burke County GA I suppose it's actually east central if you look at a map of GA oriented to true north...but since it's below the fall line within the Coastal plain and the material is 90% coastal plains chert, I always thought of it as SE GA.

That said, there is early material in southeast GA, it's just not as well known perhaps because there's not as much cultivation.
    Yeah, my experience with what I consider possible paleo sites pretty much runs from SW GA up toward the Fall Line and then along and below the Fall Line eastward. I've found a couple of Daltons in Burke County but haven't hunted there much. I found them when metal detecting CW sites. Here's a grouping I found just south of the Fall Line last winter in central GA. Everything was within a pretty tight area and had been exposed by preparation for a new strip mine. Not as diagnostic as your stuff but I think it might be pretty early. A Clovis was found in the area several years ago and quite a few Daltons -- no ceramics at all. In the photo, everything is unifacial except for the piece in the bottom center and it is heavily ground.

Name:  latepaleo.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  48.4 KB
    Last edited by mootsman; 10-02-2010 at 02:30 PM.
    "I believe every man must make his own path" Blackfoot