Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Junior Relic Hunter

is digging in Oklahoma against the law?

I have looked into this and can't really find a clear answer. Is it okay if it is on private land but not okay on public land? I think that is the way i read it but wanted to ask you guys to be sure.

thanks

BW

2. # ADS

Tribal Council Member
    !!!!
    Last edited by Wichita; 01-16-2014 at 07:09 AM.

My guess is it would depend on just what you are digging. If you are digging for artifacts then I'm sure it is. But, if just happen to be digging a basement or a root cellar or maybe a water line and oops, I found some artifacts. lol
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Tribal Council Member
    Code Book: Oklahoma Statutes
    Citation: Title 53 361 (M)
    Section Title: Oklahoma State Register of Historic Places Act: anthropological and archeological projects--excavations on private land
    Summary:

Discourages archeological excavations on privately owned land except in accordance with and pursuant to the spirit and authority of the Oklahoma State Register of Historic Places Act. Encourages persons having knowledge of the location of archeological sites in the state to communicate such information to a reputable museum, institution of higher learning, a recognized scientific or historical institution or society or the Oklahoma Archeological Survey. Directs those institutions, societies or museums contacted with such information to inform the state archeologist of the Oklahoma Archeological Survey, so that the information may be recorded in the inventory of sites maintained for the state.

The Law and American Indian burial protections--Oklahoma laws
    ... I have seen that in any great undertaking it is not enough for a man to depend simply upon himself.
    Lone Man (Isna-la-wica) Teton Sioux

Tribal Council Member
    yeah, thanks to the cats that dug up the spiro mounds it is....
    THE MISSISSIPPI DELTA SHINES LIKE A NATIONAL GUITAR..

God Bless Texas
    If ya don't get caught!!!

Tribal Council Member
    Last edited by Wichita; 08-04-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Gimpy Legged Huntress
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubs Chops View Post
    I have looked into this and can't really find a clear answer. Is it okay if it is on private land but not okay on public land? I think that is the way i read it but wanted to ask you guys to be sure.

thanks

BW
    It's painful when researching the laws according to artifacts. We are in the land of artifacts and so limited on what we can do. I only have a few acres of private creek land available to dig on. I'm sure if i asked the neighbors that owned a lot more property if i could hunt on their land they would likely let me.

I just can't seem to find any good river spots to even surface hunt. Maybe we can exchange some places.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluton View Post
    If ya don't get caught!!!
    That hardly makes it legal. I know you are likely kidding....but I've never been able to understand how people can relic hunt while looking over their shoulder. Doesn't sound like much fun to me.
    "I believe every man must make his own path" Blackfoot

Tribal Council Member
    It's not much fun Moots but some of just don't have any choice if we're going to hunt at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast