Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Junior Relic Hunter

Big Creek Bottom, Louisiana

My Brother found this stuff recently in the Big Creek Bottom area in Union Parish, Louisiana. He's an engineer with the Louisiana Highway Department. They are replacing all of the old bridges in this area and stuff is being found at some of the work sites. I took this pic at his house last week while visiting him. He is a novice at this stuff and I know nothing at all. Just posting for my Brother as he does not have a computer. If any of you would care to offer any information on these pieces especially the arrowheads I would appreciate it and relay to my Brother. Thanks...Van

2. # ADS

Junior Relic Hunter
    Sorry about the date on the pic. It really was last week. Need to change date on the camera. Thanks again for any information...Van

First off, welcome to the board Van. Glad to see you finally got activated.

I'm not real good on southern artifacts, so I'll wait for some of the guys from that area to give you some info on the types, but I will say that's some nice looking pieces.

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Junior Relic Hunter
    Thanks for the welcome Steve and your help with the activation process...Van

Tribal Council Member
    Van /Tx,,,The little birds are many from the LA./TX. Area,,the differences are slight ,,Kinda need closer pictures to say for sure exactly what types they are,..Looking just rigt to the Dime and down ,,this one looks like an "Alba",,,The next complete one over looks like a "Colbert",,,I think I see I Friley in the batch too,,, but need better pictures,,,(ie.closer),,,lay-em out in rows. That way I can say "3 rd. one from the left" ect.
    Forty Six & 2 ///// Catch

The small serrated point on the right is a Colbert Arrow point (Caddo culture) - the other three complete smaller points look like maybe Alba or Bonham types. Those would be somwhere around 500 - 1000 years old. The larger sidenotched point at the bottom looks like an Ellis, an East Texas type that occasionally wanders across the Sabine . . . it's mid to late Archaic in age, about 2,000 to 5,000 years. Nice finds! Can't tell as much from the brokes.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Wow! Thanks guys. Wish I had taken some better pics but at the time had no idea that I would be posting it for information. Just took the pic because I was interested in what my Brother found. Then started researching and found this site. I may go back to La in October and will take some better photos. By that time my Brother may have found some more. I'll give him a call and maybe get some more information. He did say that he found the arrowheads to the left of the dime in one place and those to the right in another place. All were found at two different bridge contructions sites. He also said that he found them up high rather than down in the creek bed. These are small rural road type bridges that they are replacing.

I've always been interested in Native Americans probably because I've been an archer for about 60 years but just never got into looking for arrowsheads though I've thought about it many times. My Brother has tweaked my interest. I'm in San Antonio in case any of you know of a place to look. Thanks again!...Van