Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tribal Council Member

Kansas River Flint

I picked up a small group of artifacts from the finder this weekend. They were all found on the Kansas River in NE Kansas. This large blade was in the group. I initially thought it was probably a Gahagan or similar form, from the photos I had seen. After seeing it I'm just not sure. NW Kansas is a little out of the norm for Gahagan knives but also the flaking and basal treatment makes me think it may be earlier. It also has basal grinding and up the lateral edges for a little over an inch. I know we have hunters on this forum who hunt that area. Would like opinions?
    lyle nickel

2. # ADS

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Lyle, some years back, I had a similar looking piece and wasn't sure what it. It was from Texas. I sent it to Perino and Rogers. They called it a Mineral Springs. That rock is kind of from the right area. Could it be?

Tribal Council Member
    It could be Greg. I am just a little surprised to see Mineral Springs/Gahagan that far North, and on the Kansas River. We do see them, Gahagan, on the Arkansas drainage areas of Northern Oklahoma but I was not aware of them being found in this area.
    lyle

Lyle, some of the Gahagans and Mineral Springs I've seen had a flatter cross-section with very fine edge retouch. You have a great blade, but I'm not sure what it is.

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Looks like a Paleo preform to me...not sure what style point...really nice piece! Tom

Relic Hunter
    I'm with Tom- looks like a preform, probably paleo. Flaking does not look like the gahaghan/mineral springs I have examined. My 2 cents.

Guy

Arrowheadologist
    What does the other side look like?

Tribal Council Member
    Other face.
    lyle

Nicely ordered percussion -- clean and smooth. Great cross section, too. If you told me it was a Scottsbluff knife/preform I wouldn't argue with you.

Arrowheadologist
    Scotty blank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast