Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Artifact Rescue Spclist.

Anyone have GLASS arrowheads?

Anyone have authentic glass arrowhead pics?
    -Today we play like Champions.
    Tomorrow well be too sore from the beating we took!

2. # ADS

arb
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Not any glass points but I do have a piece of blue glass from an old bottle that is knapped all the way around on one face (uniface). Found it in a river I hunt. Also, there is a local collection in a museum here that has a couple points that are made of a very translucent purple material that I'm pretty sure are glass.
    Name:  2 (88).jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  54.0 KBName:  2 (87).jpg
Views: 898
Size:  40.1 KB

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Now that's nice!

Tribal Council Member
    That's cool. Maybe an indian in the last 200 years used a bottle bottom to make a knife. I don't see why not.

Artifact Rescue Spclist.
    X3 that is cool! You always hear stories about the historic tribes using glass but I've never found anything. Thanks for showing Arb
    -Today we play like Champions.
    Tomorrow well be too sore from the beating we took!

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    I would hate to be on the business end of that thing, well, and stone knife would be just as scary.

I have heard of them being found along the Tanscontinental Railroad, which was built in the 1860s. There were a lot of natives still living wild in those years, and rairoad trash became their treasure in some cases.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

I have some from Australia. In the US you'll find them in some circumstances and areas, but they aren't common. Spanish Missions in Texas, NM, AZ, California, along the transcontinental railroad for a short period of time, northern California, Western Montana and Idaho, etc. You generally won't find them in a lot of areas of the midwest, the natives were gone by the time glass was a common waste item (or when telegraph poles were up and had insulators.) You also won't find them out of Budweiser, coke, Avon bottles (where the glass is younger than the natives who would have made them.)

I'm not sure if you'll find cobalt glass in the window of time when natives could have made that blue knife. In Indiana you wouldn't find it like that, but maybe out west. When I was a kid I used to pick up thick bottoms of bottles along a bottle dump along a reservoir I used to hunt, and then knap them as I walked. I ended up tossing the ones that broke which wasn't cool because someone could have found one and thought it was an authentic tool.

Kopfjäger
    'twixt the James and the Pedernales Rivers
    Small bands/families and individual NAs persisted all across Texas until at least the 1920's. They would either slowly die out or assimilate into local society. The Great Plains, Cross Timbers and Coastal Plains all had residual NAs. The Hill Country had Anglo-NAs; white Indian captives who returned to their white families but often never re-adjusted to Anglo culture. The knowledge of old ways was at least partly known by these people and some skills; tracking, basketmaking, Bow/Arrow sets, footwear/clothing and fishing among them could translate into cashflow or at least good barter items. Local Indian captive Herman Lehmann would win his whiskey by putting arrows through a hat at 100 paces- but if you read his account you know he could not make arrowheads; he described the process as a hot flint and wet feather reduction process......hmmm.

I was gonna say, I know some guys who used to make crude glass arrowheads while walking the Sulphur River and leave them there for unsuspecting newbies to find. (Not that I would EVER have done such a thing!!!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast