Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Quote Originally Posted by texbrazos View Post
    Those are some nice ones by the way. Well, this one is interesting in that the largest groove actually works the entire arrow the way I laid it in the last image, and if you want to work on the sections of it, it is easy to work just one area of the arrow. I may have to video this, because it is too difficult to explain. The bamboo would hug the left side of the groove, and pop out at a small notch you can barely see in photo. This allowed for the entire arrow to be sanded at once. It is pretty interesting that there is a little lip that keeps the arrow hugged to the side and actually works to sand the top of the arrow as you move it back and forth. And then if you want to make a sharp point it is very easy in the two large groves. The larger one worked to give it a general type sanding, while the grove next to it worked like a pencil sharpener, and actually made a very nice sharp point in seconds. There are actually 5 total groves on the rock, that would probably be useful, maybe like a multitool? Use one to break off all the leaves etc, one to fine sharpen, etc? I am still undecided on this one, because yes I am sure there are many natural rocks that may be similar, but natives used natural rocks as well if they were useful as a tool. Would this have been a Comanche or Kiowa's, probably not, could it have been much much older, possibly. Could it have been used to make darts? Could it have been a learning tool or toy for children? Could it have been in the elements so long that it has been worn down? Lot's of interesting possibilites, I will hang on to it for sure, it does work for the intended purpose. And it worked very well. As I mentioned before I have a t shirt and promotional products shop in Fort Worth and would gladly bring it from home if anyone was interested in swinging by my shop for a look at it. The area I am searching was known for lot's of american indian activity, so I will be looking in this area alot.
    Looks like cave bacon. I would keep your "cup", they alway look good in an artifact display.

2. # ADS

Wanderer
    By the way, wood only arrows are spears were once used, so making a fine pointed tip was very important. http://www.uwyo.edu/anthropology/_fi...quity-2009.pdf
    TexBrazos

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFind View Post
    Looks like cave bacon. I would keep your "cup", they alway look good in an artifact display.
    I will keep them all, I am also a rock hound, with a rock/water garden. I humped these suckers for miles they will stay close. Drives the wife crazy
    TexBrazos

Wanderer
    Okay, update. Been back to the area twice now. One day i dug around the large boulder and found some interesting stuff. Next day I scouted many other areas in this woodlands to look at the various types of rocks here. Many will prob. say this is nothing, but I still think it is something. I have lived in this part of Texas all my life and the main rocks around are limestone, sandstone, clay, seashell, and those white chalky like boulders. I have an extensive rock garden, aquariums with lots of naturally formed texas holey rock and sandstone, flagstone etc. I dig natural sandstone and limestone out of my yard all the time, it is shaped many various ways, but not like the stones I have found in this area. The stones I have found I am pretty positive have been used by man. I am not what I would consider any expert, but have found my fair share of natural rocks and these seem to have been used at some point in time by someone. We do not have those nice chert and river rock like in the brazos which is a good 60 miles from here. So that being said, what would the indians that lived in this area use for tools? Well, the rock tools laying around. Sandstone why not? It works great for sanding and is easy to hollow out. Limestone, why not? I have tried the limestone "shaft straightner on bamboo arrows and a large 8 foot bamboo to make a sharp spear with this, and it worked great. By the way I sharpened the bamboo to a fine sharp point in 1 minute 30 sec. I have been thinking about this alot, and wonder who were the natives here in Fort Worth/Azle Texas before the Comanche and Kiowa? Were they the Apache or the Jumano? Anyway, here are some pics of what I dug out. I found all these stones that have similar notches out of them. I imagine would have been a hammer, ax, or some tool. Found all these right next to each other. There are more there, but I only had enough room to take these with me. Prettying interesting to me if you added a shaft, and tied these they would thatch perfectly with the indentions on the top. I know what some will prob. say, but that is okay. And i will keep lookin ATTACH]105559[/ATTACH]Name:  2012-08-16_08-04-27_274.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  64.4 KBName:  2012-08-16_08-02-18_683.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  59.0 KBName:  2012-08-16_08-02-02_126.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  56.5 KBName:  2012-08-16_08-16-01_30.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  25.3 KBName:  2012-08-16_08-14-42_599.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  27.8 KBName:  2012-08-16_08-15-50_800.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  43.1 KBName:  2012-08-16_08-15-50_800.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  43.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    TexBrazos

Wanderer
    The next to last image is another possible sandstone shaft straightner. There are several types of sandstone in the area, this one I have is of a softer type sandstone, where the "cup" is a hard version or hybrid type rock.
    TexBrazos

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Yep, I see where you're coming from.

Relic Hunter
    I love the bowl. I would take it home with me! The place is beautiful. Nice job with the sun rays. Very inspirational.

Wanderer
    Thanks, I did not try to photograph those like that, just got lucky. I am not sure if you noticed or not but on the first set of photos there is a green looking mist and a bright little object in the photo. Strange, especially since that area was blocked from the sun. You can cleary see the sun setting in the back ground. I took several photos of the area and that is the way those turned out. Not sure what caused that.
    TexBrazos

Relic Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by texbrazos View Post
    Thanks, I did not try to photograph those like that, just got lucky. I am not sure if you noticed or not but on the first set of photos there is a green looking mist and a bright little object in the photo. Strange, especially since that area was blocked from the sun. You can cleary see the sun setting in the back ground. I took several photos of the area and that is the way those turned out. Not sure what caused that.
    Those funny light blobs that show up in pictures where they shouldn't be??? I have heard that those are spirits hanging about. I'm not kidding. I would love to believe it. I had the same thing happen at my grandmothers old place in Kentucky. No reason, water or sun to cause it.

Wanderer
    Yeah, they were strange. I have tried to reproduce that shot with the sun at different angles and have yet to do it. I will mark that photo up as strange and unexplained. Kinda spooky.
    TexBrazos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123