Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Junior Relic Hunter

Where to look on mound

I was just wanting some advice on the best place to look on a mound.
    I have access to a mound that is about 60'x80' rectangular. The west side borders a dry creek, the south side goes up a steep embankment and the east an north side gently roll down also to the creek but are about 50-100 ft from it. The mound is about 6' tall when approaching from the east and north. It is loaded with flint. I have found one piece ( Sorry I am not familiar with all of the names ) that is about 1.5" wide by about 3.5" tall and near perfect. I seem to find alot of broken stuff. I went up the southern edge about 300' and pretty steep and found alot of flint up there. Is there any part that I should concentrate on or just keep roaming it around. I hate to dig alot because it is not my property. Any Suggestions?

2. # ADS

Arrowheadologist
    Sounds like a great site. If you're surface hunting only, I'd start with the western perimeter that is closest to the creek. If there is any erosion or drainage areas on the side of the midden closest to the creek, I'd start there. Aside from that, I'd meander the entire area with a close eye on the edges around the midden.

I'm sure others here may have some insight as well. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. If you're able to secure permission from the land owner to excavate, you should have no trouble locating artifacts.

Shannon
    Chief Arrowheadologist

Junior Relic Hunter

Here is what i have found so far.

This accounts for about an hour and a half of surface hunting. The smaller point (the one that is the most complete) came from another ranch, but from the same county north of San Antonio. I plan to go back this Sunday with my dad and hopefully will have more time.
    Attached Images Attached Images