Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Relic Hunter

Different Types of Artifact Hunting

Hello, I am very new to this site but not to Native American artifact hunting. My first find was accidental having found a whole fully grooved ax the 4th grade. I've hunted off an on ever since and have gotten more into hunting in recent years as I hunt with my young sons.

Types of hunting:

Basically all I have ever done is surface hunt in farmers fields. Recently I've tried walking creeks and creek/river banks and sand bars. My finds make me and my sons happy, but I would say our collection is fairly small.

One thing I've recently read about is "grubbing". I won't try to redefine it now, but it seems to have a appeal to me, if of course, it seems that it would only work if one found a highly concentrated area to "grub" in. Otherwise, it would be like crawling around a farmers field feeling the dirt with ones eyes closed.

Now, I also read the words "digging", "dug", "dig", etc, a lot. I had always thought that digging was considered "going too far" or unethical or illegal or something like that. Perhaps I should understand more about it though. Perhaps there are circumstances that should allow it or accept it. So I would like to learn/hear more.

So my main question is: Including digging and grubbing, what sorts of hunting that is more invasive than surface hunting do you consider acceptable/legal/ethical? (indeed I know that some people even consider surface hunting to be wrong as I've argued with them before. Rather than dwell on that, I'd like to learn more opinions about what is acceptable according to the folks sharing information here) Who here supports digging of some type? What type? What limits?

Thank you. I do not see any type of digging in my future, but want to keep an open mind about the instances in which it can generally be considered acceptable.

2. # ADS

Elite Arrowheadologist
    I mainly dig on my own farm land. I could of course run the plow over my dig area and break some artifacts. Then run the plow over it and break some more artifacts. Digging conserves the artifacts better than the plow. I found a cache of blades a couple years back in a plowed field. Four had been plowed to the surface and I had to dig the other 17 out. I of course would never dig a grave or mound. Now that is different. I hope someone finds the pocket knife I lost when I was a kid 2000 years from now. And how they find it really doesn't matter. Digging is hard work also. Thanks for posting. Welcome aboard and show us those surface finds. Use the macro setting on your camera for best results.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    I think you are not going to get a lot of replies to this post. We really don't get into the how you find the artifacts. We have all been there and it just spoils the forum. We just share our finds and post them for everyone to enjoy.