Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

blowout investigator

Texas Dalton/meserve/golondrina/paisano

I've Posted this point that my father found a couple months back, i received different types from the members on here.
    But the for sure thing i've gathered is that it has to be one of the few mentioned in the title above, the only distinct characteristics is that its serrated somewhat, it has "fluting" or a thinning flake and the remaining "ear" shows flaking.
    I've heard that daltons were removed from the haft for sharpening rather than the meserves being resharpend while still attached. The only thing i'm trying to figure out is to type this point once and for all. Thank you for your time.

" It is one of the regular pursuits of the spring. As much as sportsmen go in pursuit of ducks, and gunners of musquash, and scholars of rare books, and travellers of adventures, and poets of ideas, and all men of money, I go in search of arrowheads when the proper season comes round again. So I help myself to live worthily, and loving my life as I should."
    -Henry David Thoreau

2. # ADS

Desert Rat
    Years ago I went on a point hunting trip with some friends on a ranch near Van Horn, Texas. There were a lot of this type found on that ranch. My friends said they were Paisano points. Note the lack of basal grinding and the heat treating. That's two things you would rarely see on a Dalton.

Tribal Council Member
    looks San Patrice related to me . Where was it found ?------San Pat usually are east Tx , some around the Giddings , Lee Co and scattered else where in the I 35 east half of Texas . Ark , La and eastern Okla have coughed up a few too . Tom Westfall found one in N E Colorado , on the Platte River I think , several years ago .

blowout investigator
    thanks arrow719 and panola, the only thing i dont get is the thinning flake, Panola this was found in North East Gaines County (west texas)
    " It is one of the regular pursuits of the spring. As much as sportsmen go in pursuit of ducks, and gunners of musquash, and scholars of rare books, and travellers of adventures, and poets of ideas, and all men of money, I go in search of arrowheads when the proper season comes round again. So I help myself to live worthily, and loving my life as I should."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Chert Hound
    I don't know Texas points, but there's one thing I do know and that is that there are alot of points out there that can't be definitively typed.
    Dang natives didn't reference their Overstreet whilst knapping.

Good luck , hope you get your answer.
    O.A.S.A.R. ( Ohio Artifact Search And Rescue)

Walkin a brighter path
    Definitely Paisano!

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    It wont be Dalton, they dont occur this far west. Its not a Meserve. Im saying San Jose / Armijo cluster. Possibly Ventana Side Notched, or yes Paisano . All Mid Archaic . Those clusters are so close together its almost impossible to ID and its very frustrating. I have a bunch of the same style.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Paisano for sure. Late Archaic and not Paleo.

Tribal Council Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beforeyouknewme View Post
    Definitely Paisano!
    I am going with this answer also.
    I know just enough to know that I don't know what I think I know.

In memory of George " Never Fry Bacon Naked"