Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Relic Hunter
    It probably is obsidian it's just not like obsidian I normally find. Obsidian is few and far between here, it's usually jet black and translucent. There are two ryolite quarries within 10 miles from my house, so about 90 percent of what I find is ryolite. When I found the Haskett it was the biggest peice of obsidian I've ever found.

2. # ADS

Desert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalHunter View Post
    It probably is obsidian it's just not like obsidian I normally find. Obsidian is few and far between here, it's usually jet black and translucent. There are two ryolite quarries within 10 miles from my house, so about 90 percent of what I find is ryolite. When I found the Haskett it was the biggest peice of obsidian I've ever found.
    It is obsidian, 99.99% sure.

Tribal Council Member
    I thought this Silver Lake might have been of the same type of obsidian as SoCalhunter's haskett as they would have been about 100 miles apart and abut as close an obsidian source to his find as there is. Not so sure now. The only point I have of this type. SoCal's lance almost looks like it has a blue shade in it. Very ncie material SCH.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Desert Rat
    There's a valley in central Nevada that has paleo sites. There's no obsidian sources near there but obsidian made it's way in from three different states, California, Idaho and Utah, each source being hundreds of miles away. It's amazing how far and wide obsidian traveled even in paleo times.

Tribal Council Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arrow719 View Post
    There's a valley in central Nevada that has paleo sites. There's no obsidian sources near there but obsidian made it's way in from three different states, California, Idaho and Utah, each source being hundreds of miles away. It's amazing how far and wide obsidian traveled even in paleo times.
    That is what I was thinking with SoCal's haskett as the neartest obsidian source is about 100 miles away and I did not think it came from that source so I was curious how far they travelled/traded. So your thinking along my lines that they wandered long distances.

Desert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierratracker View Post
    I thought this Silver Lake might have been of the same type of obsidian as SoCalhunter's haskett as they would have been about 100 miles apart and abut as close an obsidian source to his find as there is. Not so sure now. The only point I have of this type. SoCal's lance almost looks like it has a blue shade in it. Very ncie material SCH.
    Killer Silver Lake, the obsidian that one is made from does look very similar to the material on the Haskett.

Desert Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierratracker View Post
    That is what I was thinking with SoCal's haskett as the neartest obsidian source is about 100 miles away and I did not think it came from that source so I was curious how far they travelled/traded. So your thinking along my lines that they wandered long distances.
    The valley I was referring to had at least one Clovis base that was sourced to the Wild Horse Canyon source in Utah. One of the Clovis points found at the Blackwater Draw site in New Mexico came from the same source, many 100's of miles away. Also some of the points at a Haskett site in northern Utah came from that same source. It's amazing how far the material traveled.

Tribal Council Member

Possible Haskett tools

Just a quick post of the two lone tools found on what appeared to be a small site where I found a Haskett. Just a few scattered flakes and the lance and also these two tools. The large tool I am sure is a round scraper not a core. My thinking on the small obsidian artifact is a worn out and dinged up half moon crescent. But who knows maybe they are from a later time but nothing else within several hundred yards in any direction. So for what it is worth here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Tribal Council Member
    The valley I was referring to had at least one Clovis base that was sourced to the Wild Horse Canyon source in Utah. One of the Clovis points found at the Blackwater Draw site in New Mexico came from the same source, many 100's of miles away. Also some of the points at a Haskett site in northern Utah came from that same source. It's amazing how far the material traveled.
    That really amazing to hacve obsidian travel that far into one valley from 3 different states. Must have been quite a trading network back then. I wonder what they traded.

Tribal Council Member
    Killer Silver Lake, the obsidian that one is made from does look very similar to the material on the Haskett.
    I have always been fascinated how SL makers were conmtent to make tips that were very rounded and not "pointy" like this one. A blunter and rounded tip appeared to do the job just fine for them.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast