Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clovis Preforms

God Bless Texas

Clovis Preforms

We found these awhile back! They were stacked up in a washout! The darker fluted one was on top and the lighter one was under it perfectly! They both exhibit huge outré passé flaking and are very thin! The darker one has a flute on one side, and is alittle better shaped! I PMed many members on here and got good info, then had a Professor that, well let's just say he is all about Clovis take a look! He stated they were Stage 2 Bifaces in Clovis Reduction and were good examples and quite rare! They were found where known Clovis pieces have been found for years, and I'm glad for y'all to finally see em! Many preforms have the same look, so that's why it took awhile to make sure they were what I thought they were! There are not many examples to study on the net or in books, so it took awhile to get responses by people who knew what they were talking about! I knew they were special when I held them, and def stood apart from all the other preforms I had found! It's amazing how thin they are, and it's very interesting how you can see in hand how a Clovis can be made from these! Many of the Hogeye Cache show the same outline and Outré passé flaking, and I believe a few this size were one-side fluted! That info from A&M university should be out pretty quick, so it will be great to have the info and pictures to put side by side! Unless I get up to A&M and compare them if it works out! That would be even better!

Notice the darker one has a better outline and is alittle further along, or just better made!

I'll post better pics with lighting later!
    You may all go to Hell, I'm goin to Texas!! D. Crockett

2. # ADS

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    love those! REally nice and significant archaeological treasures!

God Bless Texas
    Thanks Tom, I knew you would like em, I remember your PM! I did look up the reference you gave me too. I'm going to get some good pics today, from all angles! Took awhile to make sure they were legit, can't just send em to an Authenticator, well I guess ya could!! but.... anyway I'll have em at the Temple Show to look at, you ought to come down for that one!!

Tribal Council Member
    Very nice, can't wait to see the comparison pics once they are released.

God Bless Texas
    Thanks Mud, the smaller bifaces in the Hogeye Cache didn't show alot of overshot! Now, bare with me, I'm just know learning Clovis reduction, but they did show big outré passé flaking and some of the bifaces had early flutes, some didn't! Later on in the reduction when the pieces started taking on a true Clovis outline, overshot was more present! The most interesting thing about the Hogeye Cache is the different stages of fluting, some very early, some not at all out of the 54 bifaces! Another interesting thing being studied is the difference in shape of the early bifaces, some squared off and some ovoid! This is just some of the info I received, so I'm still learning myself! I didn't even know what I had, but they had a good feel to em!

Tribal Council Member
    I can really see your excitement... ^ Every sentence ended in"!" heheh .

God Bless Texas
    That's what Josh R says, I use too many exclamation points! lol!!! Can't help it!!

Tribal Council Member

Clovis preform ?

Clue---I like those examples---but I am wondering how anyone would be able to prove those are C. preforms ? I have this one I found last summer on the same site that Mark Adams found a very nice Clovis several years ago --also a Clovis base was found there by Lester , the molester , last summer .

Maybe Tom W. will chime in on this topic . Here is a pic also . It is made of an Edwards rootbeer material --which is a good sign it would have been a paleo here in our area .
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Hey Cluton,

Those are great finds. I have found and seen hundreds of similar preforms. Some exhibit similar large percussion flaking, but are (in my opinion) most probably archaic. The archaic peoples sometimes used large percussion in early stage preforming, albeit, not with the same strategy and effect as Clovis people. I am by no means well educated in Clovis technology, but I just don’t see anything that is convincingly Clovis about those preforms. I would appreciate hearing some of the comment/traits that distinguish these.

Thanks
    john h

God Bless Texas
    It's tough DB, trust me! but that one you have has a good shot in my book of being one! I really like it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast