Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Junior Relic Hunter

arrowhead hunting i TN?

what is the law on hunting in TN? i just dont want to be walking down the river bank and doing something wrong.

2. # ADS

Relic Hunter
    It's illegal on federal and state land. Private property is completely fine but I recommend asking the owner first, you don't want to get shot.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    This is a question ones needs to research their selves on the internet for the answer one can argue in court with. All the info needed can be found there. To easy for personal thoughts and local gossip and tales to come to the front on other peoples thoughts on the subject.

There is no law for walking on any Tennessee Federal or State owned waterway. What you do on it and how you go about enjoying those areas are strictly up to the individual after you find out the real stated laws.

It still is not illegal to pick up a random artifact laying on the ground in that state.

Hunt long enough and you will get the riot act and a tongue lashing told to you sooner or later from some law enforcement agency (the lakes mostly) but that is all it will be, unless you are digging, sifting or picking up items from a marked Archaeological site. Then they got you.

Just be polite if confronted, smile be humble and let them be a horses butt all they want, if your just walking. A tongue lashing never hurt anyone if you only make it one sided. Especially in these recession times the whole state does not have the money to pay people to hunt and track down someone enjoying what tax dollars from the public created, and picking up some out of place artifact.

If you do happen to have found something and confronted.....never give them anything.....just throw it back in the water....way out. lol You can always take up diving at a later date.

Junior Relic Hunter
    Am I allowed to collect artifacts or relics from TVA land?

The Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 (ARPA) makes it illegal to excavate archaeological sites on federal property, which includes TVA land, without a research permit. Although there are no penalties under this act for removing arrowheads that you find on the ground, these artifacts are still considered federal property and you can be charged with Theft of Government Property if found to be in possession of artifacts taken from TVA property. It’s important to understand that artifacts by themselves do not tell us anything about people of the past. We need to know the context of the artifact—where it was found, for example, and what other items were near it—in order for it all to make sense. If you have discovered something that may be an artifact, the best thing to do is leave it in place.

TVA.gov

Junior Relic Hunter
    Michie's Legal Resources

Legal Resources

one of these should work.

HEAD HUNTER
    Man TVA can be a real pain. I wouldn't advise it but I know some people that hunt on other lakes etc. That do fine. I just do private land with owner permission. That way I'm always cool. Tennessee got slot of rock overhangs and caves. Use those. That's the best spot anyway.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.