Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Arrowhead Adventures
    Post Thanks / Like

5,000 years of violence in central California

Interesting study that doesn't support the rosy narrative that Native Americans were living in harmony with each other until the white man came along......not in central California, anyway.

This study doesn't even take into consideration soft tissue injuries that won't show up on examination of bones, so the numbers of violent deaths were undoubtedly higher.

This must have been a spear, the point is large and there was a LOT of power behind it:

5,000 years of violence in central California-obsidianpoint-jpg

5,000 years of violence in central California
    Happy hunting!

PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    very cool read, thanks for the post

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly I don't know anybody that pushes that narrative...native american history is strife with the same conflicts and problems as any other. I think their are some differences in what it meant in terms of conquest, especially during the contact period where it was often observed warfare was more about manhood and vengeance rather then total domination...but you go far enough back in history and I am sure their's archaeological proof of conquest that probably resembles a more european mindset. But again, other then a few dreamers I don't know anybody that thinks it was all koombayah

Arrowhead Adventures
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I don't know how you knowing anybody that pushes an obviously false narrative is relevant, but thanks for sharing. All I said was it was not supported.
    Happy hunting!

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now..boys.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    rather misleading title.. it makes it sound like there was constant Violence.. then it states clearly "Periodical Violence" in the Text...
    We were taught about this in College.. all this article does is provide some reference as to the amount of violence.. which is shown to be very low...
    But the Title is very misleading, should have read "5000 years of occasional Violence in Central California" - that would be more truthful..
    "..The Edge, there's no easy way to describe it. Because the Ones who know where it is, have gone over.." ~ Hunter S. Thompson
    "...I became Insane, with long intervals of Horrible Sanity..." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beargrass View Post
    Honestly I don't know anybody that pushes that narrative...native american history is strife with the same conflicts and problems as any other. I think their are some differences in what it meant in terms of conquest, especially during the contact period where it was often observed warfare was more about manhood and vengeance rather then total domination...but you go far enough back in history and I am sure their's archaeological proof of conquest that probably resembles a more european mindset. But again, other then a few dreamers I don't know anybody that thinks it was all koombayah
    During the Pequot War of 1636-38, the natives learned how their idea of warfare and the English idea of warfare differed. The English practiced "total war" and in the attack on the Pequot fort in Mystic, Ct., that meant setting fire to the fort and burning alive several hundred women and children primarily. Some of the Narragansett that were allied with the English shot their rifles in the air or left the field when they realized what was happening. The Narragansett would learn the lesson the hard way in the Great Swamp Massacre of 1675, where the English also burned hundreds to death. This was total war, this slaughter of women and children, and the Pequot War was the first time southern New England natives experienced this, by their accounts. Did natives practice total war in the distant past of American prehistory? I don't know, but clearly the English introduced to them a seriousness in degree of slaughter that at the time stunned the natives. They often fought. The Narragansett and Mohegan fought a big battle in 1643. The Narragansett sachem was captured and executed, but hundreds of women and children were not killed. The practice of total war does not seem to have been practiced by the natives.

Battle of Mystic Fort

Go down to Mexico and you could witness blood running down pyramid steps like a river according to Spanish accounts, so we need not be too idealistic in how we portray all native societies...

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I read the title isn't very misleading. It's an eye grabber, but that's how you get somebody to read what you write. If I read that correctly 11.5% of the burials cause of death was due to violence. That is 19.2 times higher than our current homicide rate. I'm thankful I'm living now, life was tough back then.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many of these violent deaths were after first contact ? It would seem when your pushing people out of there hunting grounds and onto neighboring tribes there would be warfare . study's show population at over 700,000 or more pre contact . I guess its a numbers game and far more violent today take a look at these numbers for peaceful California . California Crime Rates 1960 - 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good question. The article implies that major spikes were due to famine earlier than first contact. I guess they would have to make a date/violent death chart to answer your question.