Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Idaho Site

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Interesting article. I just wish there was more info & pictures so I could try to figure out why they say that is western stemmed. The white point is about 1.2 inches long and about 0.5 inches wide.

PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    very cool real, thanks for the post

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to the day when they find a haskett site with dates 14k+. It will happen.

PhD in Arrowheadology
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto

Desert Rat
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand how that point is a stemmed point. Looks more like a Humboldt to me? Still a very interesting article.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was wondering why that was Western Stemmed as well. Good stuff anyway!
    Resident collective leg puller!

Post Thanks / Like
    Off the U of Idaho site I found some better pictures of the relics found, this is the point they are calling a Windust.

Idaho Site-windust-jpg

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I saw that too.
    These articles are written without any intent of people like us analyzing and questioning lithics which is too bad. I wish they included more pictures and data. Sometimes the investigators convince themselves they have correctly identified artifacts, when in reality they are often just going by grainy 40 year old pictures (or even drawings) for ID with no actual real hands-on experience with the types they are dealing with. I really don’t have a good idea what exactly constitutes a Windust, but I have always considered the Buhl Woman biface a Lake Mojave not a Windust. But I guess that may just mean Windust and Lake Mojave are the same thing. (i.e. western stemmed)
    Similar questionable things archaeologists do is make assumptions and conclusions on lots of stuff without truly understanding what they are doing lithics-wise. Case-in-point, on a related subject “Great Basin stemmed point morphology - not related to function.” This research focused on use wear and break damage of “replicated” Western Stemmed point forms.

- - >Great Basin Stemmed Points: Anthropology: University of Nevada, Reno

They clearly don’t consider the underlying technology as a variable in any of this. To what degree & accuracy do you replicate something in order to understand the effects of how that something was used? Sometimes I think they are making this stuff up as they go.

So the one picture is grainy like usual, but if I had to guess, I’d say it was the proximal end of a Clovis point.

The very little white point looks a lot more like what a lot of people out there call a “Spedis” or like Arrow said a Humboldt. I’d have a tough time calling it a western stemmed.
    Attached Images Attached Images Idaho Site-page-39-oldest-stemmed-point-jpg