Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  2
    Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like

Genuine artifact or not?

Reading thru posts on this board makes me realize that i know very little about distinguishing authentic points from modern fakes. I have never worried about it because everything we have we found ourselves. When it comes to buying points i would be an easy mark. I purchased two alibates points at the Temple show. The big one on the left from came from my friend Winston Ellison. No doubt it is authentic. The bird point came from a guy with some high end stuff but he said he had just acquired it and had not gotten papers on it yet. I did not have time to show it to Dwain Rogers. Did i get taken or is it the real deal?
    Attached Images Attached Images Genuine artifact or not?-fda73f9c-ffd5-4b64-a9df-b5e0e0361c6f-jpg 

2. Likes Woodland liked this post
    Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion only... The point in question appears to be a Garza arrow point (500-350 YBP). I think the material is correct for the type and I do not see any red flags although close-up pics at different angles with something in for size reference would help.

Garza Projectile Point
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

4. Likes Pointless liked this post
    Senior Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who did you buy the point from?

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonneville1 View Post
    Who did you buy the point from?
    I donít remember his name. It took me all day to talk him out of that one. He had some nice Paleo stuff. I had no reason to suspect it was modern i just wasnít familiar with that type. Seeing the other threads just made me realize how easy i could be fooled.

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand where you are coming from as I moved to Ohio 5 years ago and got burned more times than I would like. Even at a few auctions that had it salted with fakes. I felt I was like the guy who sat down at a poker table and after a while he realized he was the one who was going to get fleeced.

I bought some nice stuff at a estate auction over the last weekend that had all the indications of being real and passed on many more.
    so I am very, very happy with what I picked up but just had my doubts on some of the others.

texas points are way out of my knowledge range but many folks from Texas here that can help you out.