Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  20
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Nondescript Knives

Over the years I have come across a few, what I would consider, unnamed or nondescript knives. Some probably just fall into the category of utilitarian knives that may only be (partially or possibly) distinguishable in age, by flaking patterns or heat treating (or lack of) the lithic. All of the pictured pieces were river finds in North Central Oklahoma.

The first knife is probably the largest artifact I have ever collected made of Foreacre Chert. It is a heavy blade but has early percussion flaking, on both sides, from tip to rounded base. Found by a friend of mine.

The second knife is a very finely made knife, and is extremely thin for size. It is made of heat treated Florence. Has a great shape & offset haft area. Really a great looking knife. It is the only one I have collected like it. I'm sure there are more like it, but it shows the individual style of the early man who made it.

The 3rd group, belongs to the "Tang" family of knives, but are unlike corner tangs and base tangs or even Sekans and Neoshos. I've only encountered them in the Arkansas River drainage area. If someone has seen others of this type outside the area, please let me know. They are somewhat banana shaped, very thin in cross section, generally heat treated, and have a very small tang/haft area. More likely for a cordage haft, than wood handle. A guess on my part, I think they are part of the Pelican Lake tool assemblage.

Lyle

Nondescript Knives-foracre-knife-jpgNondescript Knives-banana-knife-jpgNondescript Knives-2003_0609deer0015-jpgNondescript Knives-tangged2-jpgNondescript Knives-tanged2-jpg

Veteran Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent post Lyle and a fine group of knives. The large Foreacre Chert knife is a dandy.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice !
    Premature certainty is the enemy of understanding.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post Lyle

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I see some little spots of mastadon blood on that first one! great post
    Resident collective leg puller!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking Knives Lyle. Thanks for posting those.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could see describing each one of those as an outstanding example of NA skill and ingenuity at addressing a special need - especially the re-curved one. Thanks for sharing those with us.
    Maybe next time zig before you zag !

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool cool cool, cool tools!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting knives. I'd imagine those tools saw some long days butchering large animals.