Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo finds?

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    My picture donít do these justice I have a hard time capturing any depth. I have a lot more that I think are more identifiable. These are found riverside and show lots of wear from that. These were some questionable ones but appear to be crude varieties. These are on the mouth of major salmon spawning areas and I have many blades and knifes supporting early tool making at heavy fishing spots.

Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO, all of those were never suited to perform any tasks. They are geofacts. Don't give up though, your finds have interesting characteristics.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are looking for the right general shape, I can tell that!
    But Paleo artifacts will be flaked on both sides, usually very well flaked.
    These are Paleo-shaped rocks, not Paleo points.

Head Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree they are natural..100%
    "Even a rock will crumble if you strike it night and day, if hammer I must, I'm gonna get through your crust, gonna chip that stone away..."

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    As expressions of personal belief, fine. Everyone has the right to an opinion.

As pronouncements of probable fact, however, this is not the case.

How much does this look like a "tool" to you ?

Dr Michael Gramly on Orange County New York Mastodon Bones with Paleo Markings - YouTube

They butchered a mastodon with it, as I recall.

How about this one ? PAGE 1 HAND AXE LANGE-FERGUSON M

That one dismembered a mammoth.

Ad hoc camp tools like these are the norm throughout prehistory. They're found up to, and during, the contact period. This is not to say that some of the posted items are, definitively, tools. It IS to say that they very well may have been.
    Last edited by uniface; 10-11-2017 at 10:03 PM.

6. Likes fogman, Viking, krisrock liked this post
    Sleeps with Dogs
    Post Thanks / Like
    As usual thanks for the schooling Uni. Those Atalatals were incredible. That being said, those still appear to be natural stones. I will agree that they may have been used in a slingshot or wedged into something used as a tool to assist any task at hand, but I see no wear, no chips , no altering of the stone deliberate done by man. We all walk amoung paleo tools. Some of us are able to spot them better than others.
    If You fail to plan.... You plan to fail.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Key variable : proximity.

If you found those rocks where there were a lot of similar ones, nothing would even suggest that they were tools and not "just rocks."

However : If your excavation finds disarticulated megafauna with the long bones smashed to get at the marrow in them and those rocks in the immediate area, the conclusion that they were the tools used to accomplish that is irrefutable. It's the same thing, in principle, as finding Folsom points in the rib cages of extinct bison proving once and for all that there were people here that long ago.

Sometimes you have to repeat yourself : such crude "squaw tools" (as they used to be called before we became politically sensatized) of turdstone are an archaeological constant. The problem is that they don't square with what people assume a "tool" must be.

This is not to say that the objects at issue were "tools." It IS to say that they could have been.
    Last edited by uniface; 10-12-2017 at 11:27 AM.

9. Likes krisrock, SouthernCalifornia liked this post
    Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

These look a little better I think maybe some hand axes?

Paleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpgi

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpgPaleo finds?-image-jpg

Sleeps with Dogs
    Post Thanks / Like
    Organic, Have you found any bone fragment or pieces of large bones / sculls ? Any flint flakes or pieces of flint or chert ?
    If You fail to plan.... You plan to fail.