Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  84
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Recent Clovis

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    What kind of price range are you talking about? I've not bought any replicas before so I don't know what they go for. But if you can make a clovis that looks as good as the one Lyle posted, I'd pay you a fair price for it. No cheap talk here.
    I'm tossing around a few ideas here. I'll get back to you with detail if/when it happens.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Hammond View Post
    ARROWHEADS, yes authentic pieces are still out there lying in the bottom of cigar boxes and the person who cultivates honest and sincere relationships will be the person that gets invited to look at "Grandpa's arrowheads". You could learn a lot from Lyle.
    All true. What you don't seem to understand is that I'm not arguing against Lyle. I'm arguing against that point Lyle bought.

This forum, being essentially naive as to the elements of fakery that exist out there, grumble and kvetch about how WE TRUST LYLE AND SINCE LYLE SAID HE BOUGHT IT FROM SOME GUY, WELL THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME! which is absurd appeal to authority bull****.

Lyle might be the best guy around.
    That point Lyle just bought? I'll await his additional pics.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippintuff View Post
    Arrowheads, Clayton backed you down. Now put up or shut up. If it is so easy to duplicate, you should have already demonstrated it.

WA
    Is this more free keyboard talk or are you the guy willing to post money to see it happen?

Because that offer remains on the table (however my willingness to accept a 'pledge' in lieu of some kind of escrow is limited to moderators and administrators only)

Do let me now.

Don't back down now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    That is a pretty sweeping generalization. Sounds to me like you are the type that thinks so highly of yourself as to feel justified in passing judgement on others here, most of whom I suppose you’ve never met in real life.
    -Just as in other forms of comedy, “know your audience”
    It's an accurate generalization.
    Whether or not it's 'sweeping' is irrelevant.

OK, I publicly agree to pay you $200 in any legal form you prefer in exchange for a knapped Clovis Point that achieves approval by a simple majority on this forum after 3 days of consideration as being equivalent to the one posted by the OP. You may use any High School level chemistry knowledge you may or may not have.
    I HEREBY AGREE TO PAY YOU $200 IF YOU CAN DISPROVE JESUS THAT ACHIEVES SIMPLE VOTE OF A MAJORITY OF THIS CONGREGATION!

If you're willing to discuss credible terms, I'm absolutely down to discuss a credible bet but per that suggestion, I doubt you even understand what 'credible terms' might be.

THAT point is ONE point, not a thousand. It is the subject of THIS thread. I struggle with comprehending how you can’t comprehend that simple concept.
    The one struggling to understand concepts here is you, but it's not a 'simple' concept so perhaps that's why you don't understand it.

What we have is a picture of a point. From that picture, we evaluate credibility based on the indicators we can see.

Recovered points are a product of the geological context from which they were found or excavated. Contextual factors can vary wildly, which in turn influences the likelihood that certain indicators will be absent or present.

Not all points look alike in terms of patination. Some are 'more likely' to exhibit certain patination dynamics given the context in which they're more or less likely to be found.

On a picture alone, one can determine typology (lets call it (T) and depending on their knowledge base, infer typical contextual clues (C) based on patination (P) in which a point like that is likely to be found. At this point, it becomes a matter of estimating probability.

(T) is going to exhibit (x)(P) x% of the time.

Assigning a value to (P) indicators means that you can look at a point and say "that point is fake 9 times in 10", thus allowing for a radical (c) that created an eccentric (p).

But my posting any of that on this forum is so utterly pointless, I have no idea why I just bothered.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I'll match John's offer of $200

Make each of us one, that's $400 for you. I've watched Woody Blackwell make me a clovis in about half an hour. Even if you're only half the knapper he is, that would be a fair hourly wage.
    We can definitely make it happen and you guys are getting to the right amount level but if you think this "group" (original word deleted) is capable of deciding anything other than how much they seem to love Lyle, you're sorely mistaken.

Science is not a matter of consensus from the congregation, so we can establish terms that are neutral for both parties and then you can post the cash.

Feel free to discuss.

Also, I'm not an internet-lifer so my replies may be sporradic in terms of days, but they will definitely arrive soon enough.
    Last edited by Arrowheads; 04-21-2017 at 04:23 AM.

Honorary Sasquatch
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like someone is weaseling out...
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

7. Likes pointblank1 liked this post
    Savant Banjo Picker
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J.H View Post
    Glad to see the correct terminology applied.
    Terry (a.k.a. Dances With Dachshunds)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J.H View Post
    Of what? The arrowhead bet?

If you think for a nanosecond that I'd let this group judge the accuracy of something when the group bias is already baked in and it's entirely subjective in nature, you're out of your mind. A legitimate dumb guy if you can't foresee the problems with that. But I'm guessing you're not a dumb guy, so maybe you meant 'weaseling out' of something else?

As far as the 'bet', I think I have a very interesting test that, if anything any of these believers say is credible, they'd be able to prove in a test of a forged point among a series of other points of unknown voracity.

Maybe there's 1 fake and 9 real ones. Maybe they're half and half. Maybe they're all fake.

If anything that these people are saying/inferring is credible, then surely they should be able to pick the winner out of a lot of points, without knowing which is which.

You want to see weaseling? Observe whatever they say to that proposal (or, if we have a case if 'Kiai Master Overconfidence' here...

Kiai Master vs MMA - YouTube

... and the believers are willing to step into the ring with that cash, then we can definitely work something out.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Arrowheads,
    I'm not taking no additional pictures for you. I don't need to prove anything to you. It's a waste of precious time, that I would rather invest into something or someone who may benefit from it.
    lyle
    ================

Lyle might be the best guy around.
    That point Lyle just bought? I'll await his additional pics.[/QUOTE]

11. Likes lillyput liked this post
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another out of work ( probably a result of the " swamp draining " ocurring in D C ,....... lots of time on his hands Lyle . .

13. Likes R.J.H, pointblank1 liked this post