Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my meager collection of Haskett bases....the one in the middle was found last month. And an insitu of it. I figure it would have been in the 5" range.

A pic of what I opine is a Haskett/Cougar Mtn found by my Dad. But this one is reworked/sharpened down to the shoulders. Flaking and cross section plus grinding to shoulder fits Haskett. Next to it is a 2 1/4" lance that has percussion flaking to a median ridge with the correct cross section and ground 1/2" with pressure retouch. I used to think it was a Haskett but now I classify it as an early Lake Mojave variant.

Lastly one I have shown before in What in the World section. A nearly 8" artifact found on a small paleo site with Lake Mojave bases and scrapers and spokeshaves. It is percussion flaked with grinding on the lower 1/3 of the haft adges. I always thought it was a tool from a Haskett tool kit. But who knows?

So, it is my opinion, that this patriarch of the GB paleos is very rare to find complete and broken as well. I would find it hard to believe that someone has as many Haskett bases as Arrow does other than maybe Mojave.

I hope others post their finds it would be nice to see other examples.
    Attached Images Attached Images Haskett & Cougar Mountain-4-20-2012-001-jpg Haskett & Cougar Mountain-3-16-2012-014-jpg Haskett & Cougar Mountain-4-20-2012-006-jpg Haskett & Cougar Mountain-4-20-2012-008-jpg 

2. # ADS

Desert Rat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a couple more. The obsidian was found in two pieces. It suffered a wicked impact fracture. The pinkish one hit something square too. That one could be a L.M.

Desert Rat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierratracker View Post
    Here is my meager collection of Haskett bases....the one in the middle was found last month. And an insitu of it. I figure it would have been in the 5" range.

A pic of what I opine is a Haskett/Cougar Mtn found by my Dad. But this one is reworked/sharpened down to the shoulders. Flaking and cross section plus grinding to shoulder fits Haskett. Next to it is a 2 1/4" lance that has percussion flaking to a median ridge with the correct cross section and ground 1/2" with pressure retouch. I used to think it was a Haskett but now I classify it as an early Lake Mojave variant.

Lastly one I have shown before in What in the World section. A nearly 8" artifact found on a small paleo site with Lake Mojave bases and scrapers and spokeshaves. It is percussion flaked with grinding on the lower 1/3 of the haft adges. I always thought it was a tool from a Haskett tool kit. But who knows?

So, it is my opinion, that this patriarch of the GB paleos is very rare to find complete and broken as well. I would find it hard to believe that someone has as many Haskett bases as Arrow does other than maybe Mojave.

I hope others post their finds it would be nice to see other examples.
    I love that one your dad found. There all great but I really love that one. That last one is a mystery that I hope gets solved someday.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arrow719 View Post
    Here's a couple more. The obsidian was found in two pieces. It suffered a wicked impact fracture. The pinkish one hit something square too. That one could be a L.M.
    That is an absolutely wicked impact fracture. Like an explosion! Direct hit on a large bone. Very valuable find!

You have two excellent complete Hasketts and a multitude fine bases and mid sections.

I was really hoping other folks would post their Haskett artifacts. Hopefully tomorrow. It would be nice to see others from areas around the GB.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any Hasketts, but I have their Southern Cousin. Some Jobo points.

Tribal Council Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow Joshua!! Those are exceptional. I clearly see the connection to ours in N/A and Alaska. What range are these found in? Just S/A or also into central America. Very fine artifacts.

Are the flaking characteristics the same?? Percussion to a median ridge? Pressure retouch on haft edges? Grinding more than half the length?

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 6inch point that looks almost identical to sierratrackers big one. Photobucket won't work for me for some reason. If someone is willing to PM me a cell number I can text a pic so it can be posted.

SEEKER
    Post Thanks / Like
    ..YEP these are the Holy Grail as far as I'm concerned..Feel like I'm hot on the trail in a couple of sites producing Paleo here and there..But have yet to find a complete.

I suspect these are Haskett but not certain on the long skinny ones:
    Attached Images Attached Images Haskett & Cougar Mountain-img_0328-jpg Haskett & Cougar Mountain-img_0358-jpg Haskett & Cougar Mountain-img_0357-jpg Haskett & Cougar Mountain-img_0239-jpg 
    " There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he must run off in search of some hidden Treasure"

-Twain

SEEKER
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive my ignorance but I have read more concerning the haskett that confuses me than I understand. This was a Hafted/socketed lance or spear tip and NOT a wrapped or hand held blade like a Deschutes knife correct?
    " There comes a time in every rightly constructed boys life when he must run off in search of some hidden Treasure"

-Twain

SEEKER
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious how this fits in? Found surrounded by other Haskett looking bases and a Cresent..but nothing else so it stood out to me as strange.

Haskett & Cougar Mountain-img_0362-jpg

And any direction on the transition Out of Hasketts...is there a clear direction the technology followed?

-Twain