Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stone Tools

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like

Stone Tools

Here's a spud, grinding stone and a wedge (check out the tree sap patina on the sharp side, its a favorite). These were all found in my driveway in the Willamette Valley.
    Attached Images Attached Images Stone Tools-038-jpg Stone Tools-040-jpg Stone Tools-041-jpg 

2. Likes Beatup69, Dennis liked this post
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    very cool stuff right there!! and in your driveway to boot.. really like 2nd photo, looks like a nutting stone?? But I like all tools..Congrats!!
    SHAGNASTY

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    very cool stuff right there!! and in your driveway to boot.. really like 2nd photo, looks like a nutting stone?? But I like all tools..Congrats!!
    yes, i think it was used for both nutting and grinding..i find tons of nutting stones here..i'm very glad my husb decided to re-gravel the drive-way, he uncovered an old river bed and i've been finding lots of wood-working tools..still haven't found an arrowhead, but i'm still looking!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Leslie, those are wonderful. Good eye to find them among the gravel. Points...I think my ancients that camped here over the years, were all vegetarians

I love the tools, always a mystery as to how they were used. What is fun...I've found things that just caught my eye. Then at a much later time, I discover what the function was. Happy hunting

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice stuff! Stone tools are my favorite

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    lillyput and red ant: yes, tools are my favorites also..seems like the ancients in my driveway were vegatarians too with all the nutting stones i find there!..i have more pics stored in my daughter's camera (i borrowed it cuz it takes much better pics than my little cheapy one does..unfortunately, she took the camera home before i could get all of my pics off of it..i'll probably head up to her house today to get it back)..even tho i love the tools, i always have an eye out for points (especially after joining this forum and seeing all the beautiful points, i'm making more of an effort to find them now!)
    ~happy hunting!~

Junior Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have an entire wash that is full of stones that are 1/4 to 1/2 blackened. I did not understand why they were black. Most are wedges half blackened like the first photo. What is that from? Sorry I am brand new at this and overwhelmed by all of the tools I have found in the past. I've picked them up and thought "that's different" and put them back. My husband always said they just tumbled that way. well he didn't grow up here and was not a rock person. I finally decided to look them up up on bing and OMG I have found so many over the years. Not a lot of arrowheads. A few I thought were iffy. Now I know that's what they really were arrowheads. I even got talked ought of quite a nice spearhead. Well now I'm going to have fun

9. Likes kirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what you guys are seeing but I see no evidence on those pieces that say man made or ever used by man. Can you show pics of the other sides and some other angles of those pieces?
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Not sure what you guys are seeing but I see no evidence on those pieces that say man made or ever used by man. Can you show pics of the other sides and some other angles of those pieces?
    Probably not.....last activity was in 2013

12. Likes BrewerMo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see that now. lol
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."