Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Elite Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    My thoughts also, found that on the susquehanna.

Tribal Council Member
    https://www.accountkiller.com/removal-requested.
    Post Thanks / Like
    The borderline geofacts are always Kinda relative to me. I see loads of otherwise unmodified stones in context of a very rich site and I often think they were likely utilized in some manner. The weights are a good example of those that would be candidates for use but save for the context it's not easy to prove.

---------><---------
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some Plummets, grooved and ungrooved, heamatite and hardstone. That last piece is polished slate.
    Attached Images Attached Images Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-phpqnlsgopm-jpg Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-phpqbhtpcpm-jpg Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-phpual2c2pm-jpg Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-phpckrxudpm-jpg Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-phpwg2jpupm-jpg 

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Waco sinker.....I think found in killeen, texas
    Attached Images Attached Images Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-sinker2-jpg 

Senior Reliquarian
    Post Thanks / Like

Plummet anyone??

Here are a couple of my best plummets...one is hematite...actually much nicer than the photo shows...the second is petrified wood...have posted it here before. Plummets here are associated with the Poverty Point culture and I have seen some true works of art in plummet form. The work that would go into polishing a solid Jasper plummet is remarkable.

Atlantis
    Attached Images Attached Images Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-collection-072-jpg Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-plummet-003-jpg 
    The present is the ever moving shadow that divides yesterday from tomorrow........cherish it.

Pacific NW
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Karl those are IDENTICAL to the "improve" skipping stone weights I see in massive amounts on Columbia River sites..Many are single notch only..But I am still amazed at how similar they are to those I see here.

I'll try to post some pics of ours and compare.
    Karl, those caught my eye, as well.
    Hoping you come back with some pics, Trask.
    Would like to compare with these from the California coast.

Arrowheadologist
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few from the Columbia River.
    Attached Images Attached Images Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-nw1-jpg 

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    These all came from Eastern AR. Not really sure it they were all net weights.
    Attached Images Attached Images Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-more-plummets-broke_edited-1-jpg Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-more-plummets-drilled_edited-1-jpg Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-more-plummets-grooved_edited-1-jpg Different style Sinkers/net weights, Post yours-more-plummets-group_edited-1-jpg 

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see those "plummets " and I have a hard time believing someone would work so hard to make a net weight that beautiful. Too much work, when something as simple as the double notched stones on this thread will work equally well, with very little effort. In California, some old Napa natives said such finely made objects were charmstones with magical powers. That makes more sense to me, given the effort used to make such beautiful objects

Relic Hunter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nyatt View Post
    I see those "plummets " and I have a hard time believing someone would work so hard to make a net weight that beautiful. Too much work, when something as simple as the double notched stones on this thread will work equally well, with very little effort. In California, some old Napa natives said such finely made objects were charmstones with magical powers. That makes more sense to me, given the effort used to make such beautiful objects

I really feel the same way about some of them. One that I posted a picture of that has a very narrow groove right at the end. I can't imagine all that work and not make a much more useful groove if it was to be used as a weight.