Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Thread: ohio collecting

Senior Arrowheadologist

ohio collecting

i was wondering if any ohioans know what the law is in ohio regaurding artifact hunting. gamelands,state parks. public land, lakes, rivers and creeks, private property surface or dig?
    thanks mike
    What warrior drew the bow, sighed, and let it go on its last flight? how oft its flinten head, on its deadly errand sped, i do not know

2. # ADS

I couldn't find any distinct laws just for Ohio, but I did find this. I know in Ohio if it's on your land you can pretty do what ever you want to it. There is a man in my area who bought a known village site that was on commercial property and he has been digging it for several years now. As long as he doesn't hit any graves and is just digging the middens he is okay, even though this site is listed on the Historic Register. So just stay on private property with permission and you should fine surface hunting or digging.

A series of laws passed in 1906, 1966, 1979, and 1992 forbid the taking of Native American artifacts from federal land, including national forests, parks and Bureau of Land Management land, unless granted a permit to do so. Over the years, states have passed their own laws that restrict the taking of Native American objects from state land, echoing the federal laws. There are also laws that deal with pre-Columbian art and taking native works out of other countries.
    Also, check out this link.

Archaeological ethics - Google Books
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Junior Relic Hunter
    Good info Steve thanks. I've had the same question for a long time.

Senior Arrowheadologist
    thanks alot steve
    What warrior drew the bow, sighed, and let it go on its last flight? how oft its flinten head, on its deadly errand sped, i do not know

Tribal Council Member
    ... I have seen that in any great undertaking it is not enough for a man to depend simply upon himself.
    Lone Man (Isna-la-wica) Teton Sioux

Senior Arrowheadologist
    i wouldn't mess with a burial. people in my family tried telling me my dig site in belmont county was a burial because thats were you mostly find alot of stuff but i know for a fact it is not it is a rounded hilltop but it natural and a good look out seeing up both hollows running northwest and southwest and the valley leading to the ohio river to the east i've found all paleo and archaic artifacts, about 4000 to date and my best friend found a few thousand as well but lost his in a house fire a few years back.........depressing thank you all for the info..mike

Junior Relic Hunter

Where to dig?

How do you select a "digging" sight?

Senior Arrowheadologist
    well i got lucky with mine its way up on a hill top over looking the town i grew up in my grandfather told me about it and that started my journey for my collection. i didnt dig at first the owner wouldnt let me then when he passed a few years later my family bough it and i had unlimited access

Senior Arrowheadologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    How do you select a "digging" sight?
    what part of ohio are you from