Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Thread: When digging

Near River Dweller

When digging

When digging, how far down is deep enough to start seeing artifacts? Ive heard 6 inches to 6 feet. Also, when creek sifting, how far down do you generally go? Like a little off the surface? Or arm deep? Thanks for the help.
    "What is man without the beasts?
    If all the beasts were gone, Man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit.
    For whatever happens to the beasts soon happens to man."

2. # ADS

Tribal Council Member
    Good question Headhunter23, I don't know the answer but can't wait to see the advice you get.....maybe I'll try it too. My guess is it's going to be variable on your topography and how much your streams/rivers silt in. Somebody with this type of experience will be along here and shed some light on it for both of us.

Relic Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter23 View Post
    When digging, how far down is deep enough to start seeing artifacts? Ive heard 6 inches to 6 feet. Also, when creek sifting, how far down do you generally go? Like a little off the surface? Or arm deep? Thanks for the help.
    I have found artifacts right on top of the ground in shelters and places like that, there is no magic depth, but i usually stop when I hit the hardpan. I don't know about creek sifting, but I would dig until I hit hard clay or solid rock if I was finding artifacts.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    When diggin In FL, surface to 6 feet. Average is @ 2-4 feet..... To hardpan or below "False Hardpan"!!
    When sifting, to hard bottom/limerock, check the holes and cracks down there.

Tribal Council Member
    I know your question was how deep before you start to find things, but another one is how deep do you go. Of course when you hit bedrock or deadpan, you are done. But for a lttle trivia- there are two excavated sites in Illinois where they dug 28 FEET before stopping. Modoc Rock Shelter in So. Illinois was dug to 28 feet before hitting bedrock. Three layers of occupation were found, the oldest 9000 BP. The Koster Site in Greene Co., Illinois was dug to a level of 28 feet when ground water became a hazard. They found 26 layers of occupation dating back to 8500 BP. They were stil finding things when they stopped so it hard to say where the botton was. Ray

Arrowheadologist
    I'm digging in the side of a sand hill on a flat clay foundation. I haven't found anything in the sand. I start at the point closest to the water and scoop the sand off the hill side. Once you work your way up the bank your hole with be deeper since digging into a hill. Remove the sand and dig the top 2ft. of firm soil is how I've been doing it. Instead of digging to the point of spontanous cave-ins, I would suggest using a tarp. Undercut the sand right above the layer were the artifact are and lay out a tarp to catch the cave-in, then dump it off the hillside as a whole. I haven't hunting long (2 months) but I have sussecfully dug 10+ whole points. I would waste my time sifting. The one time I tried sifting everything went smooth and I found 2 arrowheads. I was in a hot spot and I waste to much time sifting. Anyhow, Someone dug my hole out the next day and found a cache of 40 points. I was HOT!!! GOOD LUCK

Tribal Council Member
    Back when I had spots to dig, I would always dig until I hit the clay.When I'm in the creek, I dig down however deep the gravel is deposited or how far my arms will stretch.
    Arrowhead shaped leaves are the enemy!

Arrowheadologist
    Im with John on the creeks, almost all of my hunting is in creeks pretty much a game of find the gravel deposits Ive been arm deep and right on top both..

Graduate Arrowheadologist
    If you start finding chinese people, you gone to far.
    A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Ill take a bad day of arrowhead hunting over a good days work anytime!!!