Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Junior Relic Hunter

Diggers--Where would you dig/test hole on this property?

So, here is the background info: My father in law has a 300 acre "farm" in mid Missouri. Mix of woods and open fields. Most of the fields are CRP so not ever worked, two small fields (approx. 5 acres each) are planted as food plots for deer. There is an average size creek that flows through the middle of the property. Along most of the creek is what I call a mini flood plain, maybe an acre or two wide and flat next to the creek, and then most of the rest of the property is gently hilly terrain with some ridges. There are a couple of smaller creeks (good stretches of which are often dry) that run through the hills and woods and then feed into the "main" creek.

I do know that there is at least a minimal level of artifacts, because one of my wife's uncles has walked the creek a time or two and found a couple of points. (I don't think his knowledge is sufficient enough to where he would be looking for flakes, debitage or anything other than full points. I don't know the guy so I can't ask him, also.)

I have never hunted there, having just recently renewed my interest in arrowhead hunting. My guess is that the terrain ought to hold a decent amount of artifacts, and I would imagine that there are some in original settings and not just in secondary settings washed in the creek.

BUT, my problem is that my time there is always very limited. It is three hours from home and we only go every other month or so. We are headed there in a couple of weeks, and I would like to scout the property, but with such limited time I want to make sure I maximize my time. The fact that basically none of the fields are ever plowed makes it even more difficult and takes that away as a scouting option. I would really like to do some digging rather than just walking the creek, but I need to figure out where to even start with test holes.

So, if you were going to dig or test hole this property, given the time constraints, where would you start? The flat areas near the creek? First ridge closest to the creek? Intersection of the "main" creek and the smaller ones? Anything else I should be on the lookout for? Many thanks in advance for any insight you guys (and gals) can offer here.

2. # ADS

Junior Relic Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by rockbuster View Post
    Hi plawren,
    Make a pie chart divided into three slices lable them (low spot) (creek juncture) (ridge) then throw a dart or shoot an arrow into it.
    Just don't miss. lol
    LOL maybe if I miss the chart, that is a sign to take a nap in the barn.