Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Tribal Council Member

Ground Penetrating Radar

Anybody know if a GPR device would be useful in finding points? I doubt it would work well for solitary finds, but could be useful for larger caches, metates, and manos. Possibly whole pottery. I'm not thinking of running out, and buying one. Just curious.

Also, I am wondering about portable dredges. I know of a perfect spot for one of these.
    DODGER BLUE

2. # ADS

---------><---------
    A couple years ago I was watching a show called " Time Team America " or something like that and they were using GPR on a site in S.C., pretty sure it was the Topper site. Anyway I remember they were using the radar in hopes of finding a Clovis layer or debris field instead of individual artifacts. Objects detected on the screen were really hard to determine and showed up as irregular blobs of color.

I've always thought how nice it would be to have a radar that would show precise imagery of artifacts under ground but I don't know if one exists.

Tribal Council Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost recon View Post
    I've always thought how nice it would be to have a radar that would show precise imagery of artifacts under ground but I don't know if one exists.
    If it doesn't exist a feller could get real rich, real quick if he invented one that worked. Sure would be nice.
    DODGER BLUE

Mojave,

I've thought about the same question as Wichita, what do you think about locating big urns like these with some type of radar/sonar technology. Rarely more than 3 feet deep, the walls of the urns are usually an inch or so thick and the dirt on the inside is softer and usually has more moisture.

Elite Arrowheadologist
    Dang Josh, where was that posted??/ what was in the pot?? talking debris. that's is very cool. Oh! I've also thought about the subject. Like a metal dect. But something you would program shapes into, that would recognize the shapes ?? dream! dream! dream !!
    SHAGNASTY

Junior Relic Hunter
    Man Josh, I bet you had to watch our back with that fightin' rooster standing over you like that..... He seems to be eyeballing you pretty good

Baseball,

That was a local guy with me, and the rooster did get him.

Funny as heck because you could see the rooster watching him for a while, and when he got within striking distance, he attacked.

Joshua

Tribal Council Member
    Too funny. I would have been "THAT guy" who secretly draped an earthworm on his shoulder to make sure it did happen .

Artifact Rescue Spclist.
    This crossed my mind the first time my dad and I went arrowhead hunting 20 yrs ago. I think at one tike or another its probably crossed all our minds. I'm in if someone needs me to test one if it ever happens.