Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome! Arrowheadology.com is the #1 arrowhead and Indian artifact community on the web. Join us now!

Chert Hound

Wanna buy a "Grey Ghost"?

Found this on craigslist:

I have a perfect 10 1/8" long Ceremonial TurkeyTail Arrowhead for sale.
    I was told it was made around 1200 AD?
    Ceremonial 10" Arrowhead - $4500 (Chillicothe,Ohio)

Ceremonial 10" Arrowhead

Gee only $4,500...and "Museum's would love to have it on display. "
    O.A.S.A.R. ( Ohio Artifact Search And Rescue)

2. # ADS

Tribal Council Member
    I would string this fleaBayer up by his artifacts, but I do feel Grey Ghosts can be a fun collectible.

At what they are trying to swindle at that price... well my good sir I bid you a swirley, a noogie, and a wedgie.

I sent him an email explaining that it's a Grey Ghost from the 1940's so let's see what he replies.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Chert Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Hawk View Post
    I would string this fleaBayer up by his artifacts, but I do feel Grey Ghosts can be a fun collectible.

At what they are trying to swindle at that price... well my good sir I bid you a swirley, a noogie, and a wedgie.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    I sent him an email explaining that it's a Grey Ghost from the 1940's so let's see what he replies.
    I would bet probably denial...maybe you can send him this link from Lithics Casting Lab:

Bryan Reinhardt's Flint Spear "Gray Ghosts" Page 1

Well here's the response I got back. Some people just don't have a clue, do they???

Sorry Steve-but 2 museums here in Ohio are really wanting this piece after closely inspecting it.
    Their said it was made between 800 - 1200 AD. I know that it was found around
    Serpent Mound here in Southern Ohio 4 generations ago inwhich it was found in the mid 1800's.
    Kinda blows you theory- When you closely inspect it - it is awesome and authenic.
    "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends, we're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside."

Desert Rat
    boo

It's gone...
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Chert Hound
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Valentine View Post
    Well here's the response I got back. Some people just don't have a clue, do they???
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertWalker View Post
    It's gone...
    LOL, it's so authen(t)ic that he pulled the add...

I sent him another email with the Lithic Castings link and explained to that it wasn't a real Point no matter what a Museum said. I told him I wasn't trying to be mean or a jerk, but that I was just trying to educate him on what he had so maybe he finally got it.

I also told him that if he did sell it to expect to get it back after the person who bought it had it authenticated and that any collector worth a grain of salt would know it's a Gray Ghost and only worth about $25 an inch or around $250. I tried to explain that they are still highly collectable by certain people though and he could probably sell it for around $250 to $300 if he pushed it as what it really is, a Gray Ghost.

Like I told him, the Museum said it was 800 to 1200 AD in age and was a Turkeytail, which was wrong altogether, and that if it was actually real it would be considered a Dovetail and from around 8500 BC. So they obviously didn't know what they were talking about. I'm sure it will turn up somewhere else and most likely Ebay.